Helpful Tips when you have Disaster Strikes
We’re always told that if disaster strikes, we are to remain calm, cool and collected, but when that time hits, it’s hard to always put those words to action. Although there is a lot of chaos in that moment, it is still very important to stay organized and calm from the beginning of the disaster to the end of the restoration. Here are steps we can take to stay organized and calm during these tense times.
Steps to clearing the chaos –
- First, call your insurance agent to get the claim filed as soon as possible to get the insurance adjustor to your home.
- Next, call a local restoration team to assess the damage as soon as possible and get working on the damage so it does not get worse over time.
- Keep a binder and notepad with all of the information that you’re receiving from your insurance provider and restoration professionals. (During this hectic time, don’t rely on remembering everything just off the top of your head)
- Last, but not least, make sure to save all receipts and documentation you receive pertaining to the incident and only give copies when requested; keep the originals.
Now that we’ve gone through the steps to do, here are some steps NOT to do when involved in this situation.
- Make sure not to wire any soot damage from walls, ceilings or other absorbent surfaces.
- Do not keep or use carpet or furniture that has been heavily damaged by the residue as this is unhealthy.
- Dispose of any canned goods or food items that were exposed to the extreme heat.
- Do not turn on any electronic devices until they’re thoroughly inspected by a professional to make sure there isn’t electrical damage.
Hopefully no one will ever have to go through these events, but if it does occur, these steps will help you keep that calm and collected mindset to get through the unfortunate.