If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (518) 885-2620

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Saratoga Springs Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives

2/22/2019 (Permalink)

Test Your Detectors Monthly

Alarms save lives, but they only work when they are operational. And testing is the only way to ensure they are operational. The National Fire Protection Association recommends monthly testing. 

Put reminders on your calendar to test your detectors on the same day each month to make it easy to remember. Alternatively, you could choose a particular weekend each month.

Replace Batteries Annually

Waiting for your devices to start chirping could lead to disaster. Replace your batteries every time you turn your clocks back in November, and you will ensure your detectors will have the power to protect you all year round.

Be sure to choose a quality replacement battery and do not use rechargeable ones.

Remember to replace the battery backup in hardwired detectors as well. When the power goes out, you will need backup to keep your loved ones safe.

Lithium batteries cannot be replaced. Detectors with these long-life batteries should be tested monthly and replaced when they no longer work.

Replace Alarms Every 10 Years

Every smoke and CO detector should have a date of manufacturer on the back of the alarm. Detectors should be replaced 10 years from the date of manufacture because dust can accumulate on the sensors over time and make a device less sensitive.

Consult the manufacturer of your lithium-battery-operated alarms to find out how often they should be replaced. Even if they appear fully operational, you should replace according to the manufacturer’s recommendations so your detectors will not let you down when you need them.

Check Your Fire Extinguishers 

You should also make sure all adults know how to operate your extinguishers in the event of a fire in your home or business. Children should be advised to vacate the property and leave the operating of the fire extinguisher to an adult. 

Other News

View Recent Posts