What you can do until the Professionals Arrive:
- Limit movement in the home to preven soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and uphostery.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Wash any walls or painted sufaces.
- Shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Clean any electrical equipment.
- Send clothing to dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.