If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (518) 885-2620

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What is Soot Caused by Fire Damage?

10/8/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage What is Soot Caused by Fire Damage? An electrical fire caused soot damage throughout a local Saratoga County home.

Soot is, “a black powder that is formed when something is burned.”

When you have a fire, soot is the carbon particles that become airborne, leaving your property in disarray.

Many people wonder if it is safe to stay at your property after you have a fire.

Immediately after a fire, soot residue will settle onto your possessions.  In certain instances, soot can become very toxic and hazardous to your health.  Soot contains elements of the burned material.  Exposure to soot residue could be detrimental to your health: causing respiratory distress and other medical emergencies.

If you are the type of person with patience and the drive to get something done, you may want to try your hand at cleaning your own property.  Just remember safety always comes first!

If the job is to much to handle, call the professionals.

SERVPRO of Southern Saratoga County  will pre-test to determine the degree of the damage, and then use the specific equipment and cleaning products required to clean and protect the many types of surfaces in your home.

Depending on the amount of soot, SERVPRO of Southern Saratoga County may be able to reduce the cost of recovery by cleaning lighter soot deposits found on some surfaces, eliminating the expense acquired with repainting or refinishing.

In other cases, SERVPRO of Southern Saratoga County will clean and get your structure prepared to paint, this process allows the paint to better adhere to the surface, as well as deodorize.

Things NOT to do when you have soot damage!

  • Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to a fire, heat, or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don’t use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the incident.
  • Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged

Other News

View Recent Posts